Friday, 3 February 2017

Super Absorbent Dish Cloth


NOTE: If you think those holes will catch on your kitchen tap - try this dishcloth with a selvedge edge.
This dish cloth is super absorbent and pretty!
I adapted it from this baby blanket pattern which has a simple and lovely border that adds interest.
I believe what makes this dish cloth work so well is: 1. good quality cotton; and 2. the open weave, achieved by using a large needle size. My dishcloths are around 25 cm square when washed.
Use either a good quality 10 ply cotton, or this beautiful, soft 8 ply 100% cotton yarn from Bendigo Woollen Mills. If using the latter I use two strands together as it is quite thin.

 


PATTERN

Materials

EITHER:
8 ply cotton yarn from Bendigo Woollen Mills - (use two strands of cotton together when knitting)
OR:
A good quality 10 ply cotton yarn - (use one strand)

Size 6.5 mm straight needles

Instructions

Cast on 3 stitches
Row 1:  Knit
Row 2: Knit
Row 3:  Knit 2; yarn over; knit remaining stitch/es
Repeat row 2 until you have 45 stitches

Decrease Row:  Knit 1; knit 2 together; yarn over; knit 2 together; knit to end of row
Repeat decrease row until there are 3 stitches left
Next row: Knit
Bind off and sew in ends

NOTE: If you like a larger dish cloth, you can use 7.5 mm needles and/or increase the stitches to 50 stitches at the point just before decreasing. The size of the cloth is, of course, a matter of preference.




6 comments:

  1. Suzie, I thought you were a beginner with knitting...obviously not. It must have been crochet I was thinking of. You are a very clever little vegemite. Love your knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nanna Chel. I learnt to knit as a young person, but yes I am a beginner crocheter. So far I've learnt how to do a couple of crochet borders and that's about it. I intend to learn some more though.

      Delete
  2. Lovely dishcloths, Suzie. Let me know if I can help you in any way with your crochet learning. I am in no way a professional but I should be able to talk you through anything that you are having trouble understanding. Sandi (Blinky)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandi, I will no doubt take you up on your offer! :)

      Delete
  3. this pattern that you have shared here is actually called 'grandmother's favourite dish cloth' it is quite a popular pattern & your's are so colourful!
    i have just seen your 'ad' in DTE forum & thought i'd pop in for a peek
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, so it is, (I just googled it). I've made the actual baby blanket using the pattern too and it looks really lovely - quite a versatile pattern. Nice to see you Selina :)

      Delete